Education: Master of Education in Special Education: Library Services for Distance Students
Am I Entitled to the Library's Distance Services?
The Library's Distance services are for students who:
- are registered with Vancouver Island University as Distance Education (DE) students AND
- who are not located close enough to any VIU campus to visit a campus library in person.
See a bigger version of this video by clicking on the YouTube logo on the lower right of the video frame.
Distance students can request materials from the VIU collection, with a few exceptions.
To request a book:
- Use LibrarySearch to search by topic, title, or author.
- Click on the title of the book you want.
- On the Item Details page, click on Place Hold.
- Enter your student number and Library PIN.
- Select Mail Delivery as your Pickup location.
To request a video:
- Use LibrarySearch or the videos search (under the 'find' heading on the Library's home page).
- When you have selected a video you want, click on the availability details (Video Recording: Available....)
- On the Item Details page, if the item's location is Weblibrary, click on URL to connect to the online video.
- On the Item Details page, if the item's location is Video Shelves, click on Request a video (on the right side of the screen, under Library Services).
Your requested items will be delivered by mail or courier. A prepaid mailing label will be included for the return. If multiple items are mailed together, please return them together. You will be responsible for mailing costs of any item(s) returned separately.
The loan period for books is four weeks.
Apply for Your Library PIN Online
You need a Library PIN to:
- access e-books available through the VIU Library
- access online articles available through the VIU Library
- request books from the VIU Library
- request materials from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan
- View your Library record online
Note that you will not receive your PIN instantly. You will receive a confirmation within 24 hours.