Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: 2019 October
Join us for VIU’s 4th Wikipedia Edit-a-thon & Community of Practice Meet up in Nanaimo during Open Access Week 2019!
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Open Access Week 2019 #OAWeek2019
Time: Noon to 3:00 pm
Location: VIU Library (Building 305), Room 507
The theme for Open Access Week 2019 is “Open for Whom? Equity in Open Knowledge." Wikipedia is one of the largest websites on the internet with more than 40 million articles in more than 250 different languages. Anyone can edit, yet Wikipedia consistently faces criticism for lack of diverse representation both among editors and in content. "Open for Whom" challenges us to consider whose interests are being prioritized in the actions we take and in the platforms that we support. Whose voices are excluded? Are underrepresented groups included as full partners from the beginning? How can we contribute to change?
The editathon is an inclusive event, and everyone is welcome. No previous editing skills or Wikipedia knowledge required — all skill levels from the novice, to the more experienced Wikipedians, are encouraged to take part. We’ll cover the basics of editing on this platform and support you as you explore and get to work editing live content that matters to you on Wikipedia.
- Please bring a laptop and power cord with you if you can
- Snacks and refreshments will be provided throughout to help fuel our editing
What is a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon?
A Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is an organized event where a group of people come together to edit and improve a specific topic or type of content, typically including basic editing training for new Wikipedia editors. All you need is a Wikipedia account to get started. They often involve meetups, facilitators to guide the event, and crunchy snacks. Learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit-a-thon
Why should I attend?
- You’ll learn how to edit a Wikipedia article, and help to improve the platform, in real time
- You’ll contribute to making Wikipedia a more robust and inclusive place
- You’ll hone your writing and research skills for a resource that is one of the most heavily used websites on earth
- You’ll meet other people who are interested in equality, tech, and making the internet a better place for everyone
- There will be free food and refreshments!
Who should attend?
Anyone and everyone interested in learning more about editing Wikipedia, regardless of experience, gender, or background, is welcome to attend.
How do I get there?
VIU Nanaimo Campus, 900 Fifth Street
Library Building 305, Room 507 (Boardroom)
- Bus: From VIU Exchange Bay bus loop, Building 300 is a 3 minute walk up the hill (170 m)
- Parking: Pay parking is in effect on campus 8:00am - 8:00pm | For inquiries on parking please call 1-250-740-6512
- Accessibility: There is an elevator in Building 305 to the 5th floor. Please don't hesitate to contact organizers ahead of time to arrange access
What should I bring into the event?
Please bring your laptop & power cord if you can.
Don't have your own laptop? No problem! We will have extras on hand for those who need one.
How can I get in touch with the organisers?
E-mail us: email@example.com
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Safe Space Policy: