Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: 2018 March
Join us for VIU Library’s Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in celebration of Women’s History Month! Come to VIU Library for an afternoon of editing and improving Wikipedia content focused on notable women.
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018
Time: 1:30pm-4:30pm Location: Room 507, VIU Library (Building 305)
* Please bring a laptop and power cord with you if you can
* Snacks and refreshments will be provided throughout to help fuel our editing
* Meet up afterwards at VIUSU Pub!
Wikipedia is one of the largest websites on the internet, with more than 40 million articles in more than 250 different languages, but women make up less than 10% of editors. This means women's stories aren't being told. Let's help fix that!
This is an inclusive event, and everyone is welcome. No previous editing skills or Wikipedia knowledge required — all skill levels from the novice, to the more experienced Wikipedians, are encouraged to take part. We’ll cover the basics of editing on this platform, explore women’s underrepresentation, and get to work editing live content on Wikipedia.
What is a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon?
A Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is an organized event where a group of people come together to edit and improve a specific topic or type of content, typically including basic editing training for new Wikipedia editors. All you need is a Wikipedia account to get started. They often involve meetups, facilitators to guide the event, and crunchy snacks. Learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit-a-thon
Why should I attend?
- You’ll learn how to edit a Wikipedia article, and help to improve the platform, in real time
- You’ll contribute to making Wikipedia a more inclusive place for women and other marginalised groups
- You’ll hone your writing and research skills for a resource that is one of the most heavily used websites on earth
- You’ll meet other people who are interested in equality, tech, and making the internet a better place for everyone
- There will be free food and refreshments!
Who should attend?
Anyone and everyone interested in learning more about editing Wikipedia, regardless of experience, gender, or background, is welcome to attend.
How do I get there?
VIU Nanaimo Campus, 900 Fifth Street
VIU Library, Building 305, Room 507
- Bus: From VIU Exchange Bay bus loop, the Library is a 3 minute walk up the hill (170 m)
- Parking: Pay parking is in effect on campus 8:00am - 8:00pm | For inquiries on parking please call 1-250-740-6512
- Accessibility: Main floor library elevators are in operation. Elevator access cards to the 5th floor are available from the Library Service Desk
What should I bring into the event?
Please bring your laptop & power cord if you can.
Don't have your own laptop? No problem! We will have a few extras on hand for those who need one.
How can I get in touch with the organisers?
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Safe Space Policy: