Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: Event Info
Join us for Nanaimo and VIU’s second Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and Community of Practice Meet up! Come to VIU for an afternoon of editing and improving Wikipedia content.
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2018
Time: Noon to 3pm
Location: Royal Arbutus Room (Building 300)
* Please bring a laptop and power cord with you if you can
* Snacks and refreshments will be provided throughout to help fuel our editing
This is an inclusive event, and everyone is welcome. No previous editing skills or Wikipedia knowledge required — all skill levels from the novice, to the more experienced Wikipedians, are encouraged to take part. We’ll cover the basics of editing on this platform, address underrepresentation, and get to work editing live content on Wikipedia.
What is a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon?
A Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is an organized event where a group of people come together to edit and improve a specific topic or type of content, typically including basic editing training for new Wikipedia editors. All you need is a Wikipedia account to get started. They often involve meetups, facilitators to guide the event, and crunchy snacks. Learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit-a-thon
Why should I attend?
- You’ll learn how to edit a Wikipedia article, and help to improve the platform, in real time
- You’ll contribute to making Wikipedia a more robust and inclusive place
- You’ll hone your writing and research skills for a resource that is one of the most heavily used websites on earth
- You’ll meet other people who are interested in equality, tech, and making the internet a better place for everyone
- There will be free food and refreshments!
Who should attend?
Anyone and everyone interested in learning more about editing Wikipedia, regardless of experience, gender, or background, is welcome to attend.
How do I get there?
VIU Nanaimo Campus, 900 Fifth Street
Royal Arbutus Room, Building 300 (Administration)
- Bus: From VIU Exchange Bay bus loop, Building 300 is a 3 minute walk up the hill (170 m)
- Parking: Pay parking is in effect on campus 8:00am - 8:00pm | For inquiries on parking please call 1-250-740-6512
- Accessibility: There is an elevator to the top floor, where the meeting room is located
What should I bring into the event?
Please bring your laptop & power cord if you can.
Don't have your own laptop? No problem! We will have extras on hand for those who need one.
How can I get in touch with the organisers?
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Safe Space Policy: