Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: Event Info
What should you bring with you?
- Please bring a laptop and power cord if you can -- we will have a handful of laptops available
- Snacks and refreshments will be provided to help fuel our editing! Also feel free to bring your own lunch with you
- Ideas for what Wikipedia articles you might want to work on
- (choose articles that you are interested in and/or have knowledge in)
Friday, March 6, 2020 - noon to 3 pm. Lunch provided!
Location: Nanaimo Museum
The edit-a-thon is an inclusive event, and everyone is welcome.
"When cis and trans women, non-binary people, people of color, and Indigenous communities are not represented in the writing and editing on the tenth-most-visited site in the world, information about people like us gets skewed and misrepresented. The stories get mistold. We lose out on real history. That’s why we’re here: to change it" (Art and Feminism, 2020, https://www.artandfeminism.org/).
No previous editing skills or Wikipedia knowledge required — all skill levels from the novice, to the more experienced Wikipedians, are encouraged to take part!
We’ll cover the basics of editing on this platform and support you as you explore and get to work editing live content that matters to you on Wikipedia.
What is a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon?
A Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is an organized event where a group of people come together to edit and improve a specific topic or type of content, typically including basic editing training for new Wikipedia editors. All you need is a Wikipedia account to get started. They often involve meetups, facilitators to guide the event, and crunchy snacks. Learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit-a-thon
Why should I attend?
- You’ll learn how to edit a Wikipedia article, and help to improve the platform, in real time
- You’ll contribute to making Wikipedia a more robust and inclusive place
- You’ll hone your writing and research skills for a resource that is one of the most heavily used websites on earth
- You’ll meet other people who are interested in equality, tech, and making the internet a better place for everyone
- There will be free food and refreshments!
Who should attend?
Anyone and everyone interested in learning more about editing Wikipedia, regardless of experience, gender, or background, is welcome to attend.
How do I get there? Where can I park?
What should I bring into the event?
Please bring your laptop & power cord if you can.
Don't have your own laptop? No problem! We will have extras on hand for those who need one.
How can I get in touch with the organisers?
E-mail us: email@example.com
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Safe Space Policy: