Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: Event Info
Join us on International Women's Day for VIU’s 3rd Wikipedia Edit-a-thon & Community of Practice Meet up in Nanaimo!
Date: Friday, March 8, 2019
International Women's Day #IWD2019
Time: 1:00-4:00 pm
Location: VIU Library (Building 305), Room 507
Wikipedia is one of the largest websites on the internet, with more than 40 million articles in more than 250 different languages, but women make up less than 10% of editors. This means women's stories aren't being told.
Let's help fix that!
This is an inclusive event, and everyone is welcome. No previous editing skills or Wikipedia knowledge required — all skill levels from novice, to more experienced Wikipedians, are encouraged to take part. We’ll cover the basics of editing on this platform, address underrepresentation, and get to work editing live content on Wikipedia.
- Please bring a laptop and power cord with you if you can
- Snacks and refreshments will be provided throughout to help fuel our editing
What is a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon?
A Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is an organized event where a group of people come together to edit and improve a specific topic or type of content, typically including basic editing training for new Wikipedia editors. All you need is a Wikipedia account to get started. They often involve meetups, facilitators to guide the event, and crunchy snacks. Learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit-a-thon
Why should I attend?
- You’ll learn how to edit a Wikipedia article, and help to improve the platform, in real time
- You’ll contribute to making Wikipedia a more robust and inclusive place
- You’ll hone your writing and research skills for a resource that is one of the most heavily used websites on earth
- You’ll meet other people who are interested in equality, tech, and making the internet a better place for everyone
- There will be free food and refreshments!
Who should attend?
Anyone and everyone interested in learning more about editing Wikipedia, regardless of experience, gender, or background, is welcome to attend.
How do I get there?
VIU Nanaimo Campus, 900 Fifth Street
Library Building 305, Room 507 (Boardroom)
- Bus: From VIU Exchange Bay bus loop, Building 300 is a 3 minute walk up the hill (170 m)
- Parking: Pay parking is in effect on campus 8:00am - 8:00pm | For inquiries on parking please call 1-250-740-6512
- Accessibility: There is an elevator in Building 305 to the 5th floor. Please don't hesitate to contact organizers ahead of time to arrange access
What should I bring into the event?
Please bring your laptop & power cord if you can.
Don't have your own laptop? No problem! We will have extras on hand for those who need one.
How can I get in touch with the organisers?
E-mail us: email@example.com
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Safe Space Policy: