Citation Management: Tools & Alternatives: Getting Started with a Reference Manager
What are my options for managing references? How do I choose?
There are many tools available to assist you with managing the references that you collect in the course of your research. Features may include:
- formatting citations and reference lists according to different styles
- allowing you to add your own annotations, tags, links.
- integration with word processing applications
- managing references for different projects in folders
- accounts or groups that allow you to collaborate with other researchers
- uploading files and associating them with references in your database
- exporting references for use in other tools
This guide is meant to assist in selecting a tool that serves your needs, and to offer links to help resources.